Last Updated on July 24, 2021
The best gas powered capstan winch
If you are looking for a gas powered capstan winch and you don’t have the time to shop around then just go for this one. Overall its performance and build quality are unparalleled.
Whenever you think about pulling a heavy object with portable devices, a winch is a tool that comes into the mind, be it a tree log, vehicle, or even the trophy of your hunting adventure.
The most common winches are those which can be attached to your truck or car and uses the battery of the vehicle to perform its duties.
Well, you cannot take the vehicle to every corner. There are some apparent restrictions for these electric winches.
Don’t worry! To get you out of this hassle, there is a specific class of winches that can be used for multiple purposes. They are the Gas powered winches. As the name implies, these winches use gas (petrol) to work, and you can take them anywhere you want.
I will review some of the best gas-powered Capstan winches for you. In the end, you will be able to decide which suits you the best.
- Truck Winch – Review & Guide
- Best Car Trailer Winch To Buy in 2021
- Warn Zeon & Zeon Platinum Winch Review
Top 5 Best Gas-Powered Capstan Winches
The list of gas-powered capstan winches in this review are some of the best and handpicked after thorough testing and user feedback. In the end, you must be able to decide the best gas-powered capstan winches that will suit your requirements.
1. Multi-Purpose Gas-Powered Capstan Winch Kit – PCW5000-MK Review (Premium Pick)
This multipurpose gas-powered winch stands too high in our ranking. It is not because of its sheer power but for its quality, usability, and accessories. And it has a rated line pull of 2200 lbs.
You can double its capacity to 4400 with the help of a single snatch block and to 5500 lbs with two snatch blocks. Also, you need not buy the snatch block separately and is included in the package. I would say it is a definite buying factor.
When we talk about pulling capacity, the first thing that comes into our mind is the rope. The 328 ft rope is a double braided polyester rope that can be used in all weather conditions. I am always happy when a winch has a synthetic rope, and this winch does that.
With the help of the anchor sling, you can tether this winch to any object such as rocks, trees, or even to the ground. The powerhouse of this winch is the Honda GXH-50 engine. It is one of the best engines out there in the market.
And it is a 4 stroke 2.1 HP engine that has a net power of 7000 RPM and a net torque of 4500 RPM. It also comes with a transport case for your accessories.
You can use this winch for multiple purposes, and it delivers its work flawlessly. It is best for the money as well as best in class.
- Winch with multiple uses which can be used for various purposes
- The high pulling power of 2200 lbs
- Ability to double the rated line pull to 4400 lbs
- Waterproof case
- Mounting hardware supplied within the package
- Powerful Honda GXH-50 engine
- 328 feet synthetic rope made of double braided polyester
- Anchor sling included
- As it is a multipurpose winch, a steel body would have been better, but the winch is made of aluminum, which is not as resistant as steel to corrosion
2. Gas-Powered Capstan Winch Forestry Kit – PCW5000-FK Review
The Capstan PCW5000-FK is an ideal winch if you are a logger. With the help of its double swing pulleys, you can move a tree log as massive as 2200 lbs with ease. Its pulling power is not restricted to 2200 lbs; add a snatch block and double it to 4400 lbs.
Moreover, it has a 164 feet synthetic rope made of polyester. The rated line pull is about 40 FPM and can be increased to 60 FPM with an optional drum. There is a 20-inch skidding cone that helps you to pull the tree logs with ease.
There is an anchor sling included in the package which can be used to tether this winch at your desired location. Additional accessories include a 7-foot rope choker, mounting hardware, grab hook with latch, and carrying case.
The PCW5000-FK series winch is an excellent deal for those who want a winch within a limited budget in the tree logging business. The skidding cone and dual swing pulleys are massive plus points.
- Ideal for loggers or lumberjacks as it has basic forest kit
- Dual swing pulleys
- 164-foot double braided polyester rope
- Mounting hardware present in the package
- Ability to double up the pulling power with a snatch block
- Waterproof carrying case
- Honda GHX-50 engine
- Oval shaped steel locking carbines
- A basic kit with no unique or extraordinary features
- Although this winch has high pulling power, its application is limited for forestry purposes only
3. Gas-Powered Capstan Winch – PCW-5000 Review (Top Pick)
The PCW-5000 is precisely similar to the FK winch, but the difference is that it does not come with the rope. Although this is a flaw in this winch, you will have the ability to use cables of varying lengths.
It has dual swing pulleys, which means you can use two ropes and double up its pulling capacity. With the help of an additional drum, you can increase the rated line pull from 40 to 60 FPM. You can tether the winch to your desired location with the help of the anchor sling.
A mounting plate helps you to fix this winch permanently to the vehicle. But I would not recommend it because the portability will be lost. A 2.1 HP Honda HGX-50 motor also powers this winch. The sad part is that it does not provide any carrying case, and you need to buy it separately.
Like the PCW5000-FK, it is a perfect tool for forestry and farming applications. All you need to do is buy a rope which suits your needs.
I have selected this winch as top pick because of its excellent feature, reasonable price and high popularity.
- Dual swing pulleys
- 2200 lbs rated line pull
- Basic forest kit
- Carrier case include
- Powered by 2.1 HP Honda GHX-50
- Optional drum to increase rated line pull
- Can be used with a synthetic rope of any length
- The synthetic rope is not included in the package, and you need to buy it separately
- No carrying case included
4. Gas-Powered Capstan Winch – PCW3000 Review (Budget Pick)
The final winch on our best portable gas winch list is a smaller, 3000 series gas-powered Capstan winch. It has a 1550 lbs pulling capacity. Even though it is low, you can double it to 3000 lbs with a snatch block. The winch is powered by a 35 cc Honda GX engine.
Don’t be fooled by the engine power. It is capable of delivering a power of 7000 RPM and a maximum torque of 5500 RPM.
This air powered capstan winch is light in weight, and you can carry it in a backpack. It has all the features that a premium gas-powered winch has. You can use this for multiple purposes and is an ideal choice for tree loggers within a minimum budget.
The PCW-3000 gas-powered Capstan winch is an excellent choice for forestry uses. It is for those who seek premium quality features within a budget. Make note that accessories and rope are not included in the package.
- Lightweight and compact
- 35 cc Honda GX engine
- Ability to double the pulling power with a snatch block
- Backpack carrier included
- Three-stage spur gears
- Anti-reversing roller clutch
- Limited pulling capacity
- Rope and other accessories are not included in the package
5. Gas-Powered Capstan Winch Hunting Kit – PCW5000-HK Review
If you are finding it challenging to get your big game from your hunting trip, the PCW5000-HK portable capstan winch is your best choice. It has all the accessories required for pulling the big game in all weather conditions.
One of the best features of this gas powered winch is the presence of two swing side pulleys. With the help of these pulleys, you can double the power from 2200 lbs to 4400 lbs. There is a ¾ ton capacity safety hook.
With the help of the hitch plate anchor, you can position this winch firmly at any given location. Similar to the HK series, this winch has 328 feet long synthetic rope made of double braided polyester. You can also use an optional drum to increase the rated line pull from 40 feet per minute (FPM) to 60 FPM.
The Honda GHX engine is the gold standard for the Capstan winch series. You need not rely on the battery for these winches as these are powered by gas, which is a huge plus. Additional accessories include a transport case, 8-foot polyester slings, 7-foot rope choker, and locking carbines.
The PCW5000-HK gas powered portable winch is an excellent choice for hunters. It has power and all the accessories required to bring your big game from your hunting trip.
- Dual swing slide pulleys
- 328 feet synthetic rope
- 2.1 HP Honda GHX engine
- Rugged transport case
- Ability to double up the pulling capacity from 2200 lbs to 4400 lbs
- Hitch plate anchor included
- ¾ ton safety hook
- Similar to the MK series, the body is made of aluminum which is not as durable as steel
The gas-powered Capstan winches are durable and robust. They will last longer if you use them properly. If you are a hardcore winch user, the PCW5000 Winch is the best gas-powered Capstan winch.
Video: How To Set Up & Use A Capstan Winch